Cucumbers have some terrific health benefits, so making them a part of your regular GERD friendly diet is a smart choice. It’s easy too! You can eat sliced cucumbers for an afternoon snack, use them as a sandwich topping, and include them in any of your salads. This refreshing recipe is easy to prepare and will last up to a week in the refrigerator. We like to make it a day ahead, because the longer it marinates, the tastier it is. It’s a perfect blend of tart and sweetness, so be healthy and give it a try!
Makes 8 servings
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (or adjusted amount of sugar substitute)
1 tsp Kosher Salt*
1/4 cup fresh or dried dill weed
4 large firm cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 carrot, scraped and thinly sliced
- The day before serving, bring vinegar, water, sugar, and dill to a boil.
- Meanwhile, layer the vegetables in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour the boiling vinegar mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover, cool, and then refrigerate overnight.
- Serve cold in small fruit dishes.
Nutritional information (per serving): Calories 55, Sat fat .7 g, Sodium 245 mg
*To keep this recipe to 2.6 mg of sodium, omit the Kosher salt.