This great tasting, healthy quiche fills you up with protein instead of fat!
Who doesn’t love going out to breakfast and ordering the healthy veggie quiche? But who knew what you are eating actually is full of cream butter and cheese? That’s a lot of dairy and a lot of regret later. We created this great recipe for a great tasting healthy quiche that fills you up with protein instead of fat. It tastes and looks like you put a lot of work into it, but it’s really quite simple.
We did a few things make this traditional recipe healthier. Turkey bacon replaces regular bacon to reduce the fat. Swiss and Parmesan cheeses are used, which are full of flavor, allowing you to use less and reduce the overall fat content of the recipe, but still get the satisfaction of cheese. BUT the main culprit in this dish is cream; half and half, which is the lowest fat cream, still contains 18% fat! Replacing the cream it with plain, nonfat yogurt creates the same creamy texture, but is so much better for your health.
Recipe serves 8
1 unbaked, 9-inch piecrust
½ pound asparagus cut into ¼ inch pieces (or between 1 and 1 ½ cups)
6 turkey bacon strips, cooked to desired crispness and chopped
2 T green onion or chives
3 eggs (or 2 eggs and 2 egg whites/ 1 egg and 3 egg whites)
1 ½ C nonfat or low- fat plain yogurt (Greek yogurt can be used but may be more tart in flavor)
½ C Swiss cheese
¼ C Parmesan cheese
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 450⁰, cover piecrust with aluminum foil and bake for 5 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for 5 additional minutes.
- Steam asparagus until bright green and tender, but still crisp (approximately 4-5 minutes).
- While the asparagus is cooking, beat the eggs in a bowl and slowly add the yogurt ½ cup at a time.
- Add in the nutmeg, salt, chives and stir.
- Slowly add in the cheeses, leaving a small amount to sprinkle on the top of the quiche.
- Once bacon is cooked, add to the egg mixture.
- When the piecrust is finished and the asparagus has been steamed, spread the asparagus across the bottom of the piecrust.
- Slowly pour the egg-yogurt mixture over the top of the asparagus; this will give the final product a layered look.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the quiche.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400⁰ and bake the quiche in for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat 350⁰ and continue baking for 25-30 minutes. The quiche is done when a knife is inserted in the center of the quiche and come out clean.
- Let stand 15-20 minutes before serving. This ensures the quiche will not fall apart.
Nutritional information (per serving): 200 Calories, 11 g fat, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein, 83 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium